Wednesday 29 April 2015

A blog about the London Marathon

The first requirement to run in London is to be lucky. I was lucky I got in through the ballot.

I was also lucky I managed to wangle free train travel down and had an Auntie to stay with, and auntie who had run the marathon herself - 3 times. As a result I was well looked after by Anne and her running club the Orion Harriers. Thanks Anne for everything.

We got to the start in plenty of time, upside, no stress, downside freezing. The Orion Harriers looked after me, and the setup was good, there was tea and coffee, lots of toilets, running heaven.

With about half and hour to go I put my bag in the lorry and was left with just a primark hoody which I was going to ditch when the gun went off.

Ready to go
I fund my way to pen 3 and waited. And then we were off.

On TV this looks amazing, the mass of runners pouring over the start line, almost looking like one giant organism with a mass of colours. The reality is a bit different, you can see about 30 people around you and you're trying desperately not to come a cropper on all of the bin bags people have worn to the start and carelessly discarded. Getting injured before even starting would be a bugger.

It's busy at the start but we're running reasonably well, the mass of people settles into something around 8 minute miling. I hadn't known what to expect, but this isn't too bad. Its a bit slower than I want but I can work with it. I try to pick my way forward when I can, but without being a dick about it. The immediate issue is that I have two 3.30 pacers in front of me, surrounded by a mass of people looking to run at 3.30 pace, squeezing past takes a couple of miles and some judicious use of the pavements but after a couple of miles I'm running reasonably freely and at my own pace.

The plan is to run 3:15 by running 7.20ish for each mile. Because of the start I'm a couple of minutes down on this. I settle into a 7:20 pace, but my missing 2 minutes is nagging at the back of my head.

In the next few miles the following things occur.

  • We pass a preacher - I feel he may meet with more success in gaining converts at mile 25 rather than mile 5.
  • Some people are playing drums under an underpass - This sounds awesome.
  • Lots of people cheer -  this is good.
  • I pass a panda and a gorilla - the crowd are giving them a lot of love.
  • I pass a Penicuik Harriers runner and say hi -  I did once run their 10k race.
  • Kris from my work gives me a cheer - this is a real boost.
  • The miles slip quietly by.
  • I run past some bagpipes - I feel I'd better applaud as I'm running for a Scottish club.
  • We run past a big ship.
  • I have a bit of a low point, worry about how early it is to be having a low point, eat a haribo and feel better.
My nutritional strategy for the race is to eat a haribo occasionally. This strategy is designed to stop me feeling sick rather than deliver optimum nutrition for the ordeal ahead. Even with this one simple job to do it largely fails.

Running over Tower bridge (mile 12 and a bit) is great. It feels like the first bit is over and the race is getting going. I'm feeling good at this point. Although I fail to notice the tower of London.

In the next few miles the following things occur

  • I pass the leaders of the mens race going the other way - they are about 8 miles ahead and making it look easy.
  • I see my Auntie - great to have someone out there cheering for you.
  • Many miles pass in a blur.
  • I see someone from Long Eaton running club and tell them to say hi to my friend Al - they look confused.
  • I fail to spot Theresa from my running club.
  • Generally I run well, perhaps I eat a haribo.

My goal was to get to mile 20 and push on from there - I felt I'd been on pace all the way, but there was the annoying 2 minutes from the start to make up. I got to mile 20 and wasn't feeling bad.

In the next few miles the following things occur

  • I decide that my next goal is to run back to where Anne is (mile 22) and try to look reasonably together when I'm there - this I largely achieve.
Mile 22

  • I pass someone from Musselburgh who is walking, I offer encouragement and feel smug I'm not walking - I get payback for this thought when he cruises past me in the later stages.
  • I run through a shower - this is refreshing.
  • I run through a tunnel - not unlike the Monaco GP.
  • I feel a bit sick.
  • The smoke from all of the trendy wood fired pizza sellers make me feel sicker.
  • I desperately try to suck the energy from the crowd by making eye contact with people and looking at them imploringly, they smile and I feel better.
  • I start to struggle.
  • I struggle more.
  • I realise I've slowed down.
  • I try to run faster.
  • I fail.
  • I manage to see the tower of London at the second attempt.
  • I get very pissed off I can't see big ben - surely it should be in sight by now.
  • I wish the noisy and enthusiastic crowd would just piss off and let me suffer in peace.
  • I realise I'm near the end.
  • I accept I can't go any faster.
  • I try really, really hard to savour the last bit while trying to remember not to stop running.
  • I cross the line (3:26:15).
  • I cry a lot.
  • I hobble.
  • I really need a hug.
  • I find my Auntie and she obliges, while looking a bit concerned about the state I'm in.
  • I feel better and eat an apple.
  • I feel better still, tackle the underground, traverse London, have a shower, eat some cheese on toast, traverse London again, travel 400 miles on a train, and finally make it home. One of my busier and more memorable days.


What this all means

This may sound a bit negative, it isn't. I had a great time. I went for an ambitious target and failed, partly because I don't think I fully believed, partly because it was busy at the start, partly nutrition maybe and partly just 'cos that's how it went on the day. But I still ran a PB and took part in one of the most iconic races in the work. And to quibble about times is to kind of miss the point.

Running the London marathon is such and intense and powerful experience the running is almost a second order issue. So many people coming together to play their part in such a massive communal experience is amazing. It's not even just the runners, crowds and volunteers but the people watching at home. When I run some races I don't think everyone really gets it, but everyone gets London and every time I ran over a timing mat it gave me a boost to think that someone was watching my progress.

Looking rough on the tube afterwards

Even on the tube afterwards people were asking you about the race and chatting, I'm lead to believe this isn't normal for London, but the event so takes over the city it brings a real sense of community to a massive group of people.

In the end many, many people assign a lot of meaning to London and that's what makes it special. I didn't assign enough meaning to my goals for the race and that's why I didn't quite hit them. But an amazing thing to do and something I'd recommend to anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stuc a' Chroin race 2018

When I typed the title it was autocorrected to Stuc a chronic, it felt somehow apt. The thing was I thought I'd be OK at this. I'd...